Caisse des Dépôts is a public sector financial institution that performs public-interest missions on behalf of France’s central, regional and local governments.
Today, Caisse des Dépôts is
- the leading administrator of French savings deposits and retirement savings
- funds and of private funds that are protected under French law;
- the leader in financing low-income housing in France and urban development;
- the long-term partner of local and regional governments
- as an investor in local development projects,
- through subsidiaries that provide regional development services (Transdev, Egis, Compagnie des Alpes and Belambra vvf), or are involved in real estate (Icade and Société Nationale Immobilière) and private equity investing (CDC Entreprises);
- Caisse des Dépôtsis also a leading long-term institutional investor. Caisse des Dépôtsis the leading shareholder in CNP (personal insurance). It also manages substantial portfolios of shares in listed companies, private equity investments (through CDC Capital Investissement) and real estate assets.
CDC'S role in XtreemOS: administrative and financial coordinator
CDC is an original structure, unique in Europe, combining in the same financial institution: public service activities (management of savings funds, funding of social housing, urban renovation, backup of small and medium size enterprises funds) and competitive activities (principally undertaken by subsidiary specialized professional bodies such as banking and financing activities, individual insurance, services and engineering for regional development).
The existing relations between the public and private parts of CDC allow for the elaboration of flexible and imaginative solutions to respond to new needs, to the challenges of the markets globalization and of the European integration Management of projects on behalf of third parties, which is a traditional task that CDC performed since 1816.