We are pleased to announce that we have two new demo videos online made by TID:
- XtreemOS-MD Grid Media Player
- Sharing a smartphone's 3G connection
The Mobile Device Flavor of XtreemOS (aka. XtreemOS-MD) has been recently released and it is available for downloading and testing from Mandriva repositories under the directory devel/xtreemos/2008.0/mobile.
The XtreemOS-MD software distribution is our first released implementation XtreemOS project for Mobile Devices, which integrates the Grid client functionality in Mobile Devices. The most important features are:
- Grid available out of the box: the installation is as simple as a single click on a Web page and no user configuration is required, only your username and password for the Grid.
- Grid login uses a plug-able, Single-Sign-On system. Login may be manual or automatic.
- Automounting of the home Grid filesystem volume when user logs-in the Grid.
- User may launch processes in the Grid.
- User may run applications compliant with SAGA API (further work is needed for complete support)
XtreemOS-MD is currently available for two platforms:
- Nokia N800 and Nokia 810 Internet Tablets running Maemo 2008 distribution.
- Angstrom 2007.12 (currently, the last stable version until the date of publication of XtreemOS-MD, 2008/02/28) running in a Qemu emulator.
Installation is easier in Maemo 2008 (i.e. Nokia N8x0), because the platform provides the
functionality of "click to install" without needing to login as root in your mobile device. In Angstrom, installation requires to download and execute an installation script as root on top of a QEMU emulator.