Two XtreemOS video tutorials are now available online!
The tutorials can teach you the basics of using XtreemOS and performing administrative tasks in an XtreemOS grid, so that you do not have to start with reading the manuals.
- The first tutorial teaches XtreemOS from the user's point of view,
- The second tutorial is about easy and secure grid configuration wth XtreemOS operating system.
We have prepared a video to introduce to the capabilities of XtreemOS:
Take a look at it on the homepage of our project website
We are pleased to announce that we have another new demo video on-line:
We are pleased to announce the final results of the challenge.
The selection committee unanimously voted for:
- Monte Carlo Simulation for Single-Photon Emission Computed Tomography with XtreemOS by Emanuele Carlini, Sebnem Erturk & Giacomo Righetti from University of Pisa, Italy, as the winners and the recipients of the first prize.
The other two finalists are:
- Grid Security Operation Center by Syed Raheel Hasan, Jasmina Pazardzievska, Maxime Syrame (supervised by Julien Bourgeois) from Laboratoire Informatique, Université de Franche-Comté, France, (2nd prize) and,
- Parallel Kriging by Alvaro Parra, Exequiel Sepulveda & Felipe Lema from ALGES lab at Universidad de Chile.
Summary of the work carried out by Emanuele Carlini, Sebnem Erturk & Giacomo Righetti:
- Monte Carlo Simulation for Single-Photon Emission Computed Tomography with XtreemOS
"Single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) is an imaging technique for the in vivo volumetric analysis of the distributions of radiopharmaceuticals. Our project focused on a Monte Carlo simulations of SPECT, which is composed by CPU-intensive tasks that take up to several days or months to complete even with state-of-the-art single-CPU computers
We adapted the job submission to the status of the platform in order to meet a target completion deadline, by tuning the number of machines at runtime, requiring more and/or faster machines whenever necessary, or, conversely, releasing heavy-loaded machines whenever they represent a bottleneck. XtreemOS offered us a number of tools and features which have been attractive in order to complete such goal. Besides the global security and authentication capabilities, we
specifically rely on the job deployment features of XtreemOS."
Video available here: http://hpc.isti.cnr.it/xos/XOS_Challenge_Video.qt
Summary of the work carried out by Syed Raheel Hasan, Jasmina Pazardzievska, Maxime Syrame:
- "At present grid networks are working with very trusted sites. They share limited number of resources but the trend of interconnecting different grids is evolving with the passage of time. Specially by the innovation of desktop grids the risk is very high that grid networks will also be attacked like Brute force attack, Denial of Service attack(DoS) or Distributed Denial of Service attack (DDoS) etc. Grid Security Operation Center (GSOC) is the modern security operation center specific to counter these problems in grid computing networks."
Video available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUUaRpzusdo
Summary of the work carried out by Alvaro Parra, Exequiel Sepulveda & Felipe Lema
- "The intended application to run over XtreemOS is the parallel kriging implementation developed in C++. The current implementation is a multi process program where all parameters and options can be configured in a XML file. Output is a file containing the variable estimations of all defined nodes. The motivation is to run the application over the Grid5000 platform and make large scale experiments in order to make performance comparisons and measure scalability of the system. We want to measure what is the larger dimensionality that we can reach using this technology."
Video available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2183WfVBuk
We have another new demo video on-line, again made by the TID team: "XtreemOS-MD On-Demand File Sharing demo".
The video is available here:
(right at the bottom of the page)
We are pleased to announce that we have two new demo videos online made by TID:
- XtreemOS-MD Grid Media Player
- Sharing a smartphone's 3G connection
Two new demos made by BSC have been published on the project web page, namely hmmpfam/COMP Superscalar and SpecWeb2005:
On April 14th XLAB made an XtreemOS training session in the Kiberpipa slot. Marjan Sterk and Matej Artač presented the XtreemOS project and its goals, and demonstrated its usage from the perspective of a VO administrator, a resource administrator, and a VO user.
The audience consisted of Linux users, who showed interest in the project's results.
The video of the presentation (in Slovenian) is available here.
(Source: wikipedia) - Kiberpipa ('Cyberpipe') is a hackerspace in Ljubljana, Slovenia, established in 2001 as a part of the K6/4 Institute.